Friday, October 28, 2011

Glenstal Abbey

Glenstal Abbey was built in the 19th century . It is a Norman revivalist Castle. It was designed by William Bardwell, an English architect, who intended Glenstal to look like a twelfth-century castle, for when he inscribed his name on the turret Bardwell me fecit, he added the dated 1839, but cut in such a way as to look like 1139. The construction of the castle in the 1830's brought an influx of tradesmen and artisans, hence forming the village of Murroe in the surrounding area.



There are vast grounds around the Abbey and a variety of outbuildings, statues and gardens, making for an interesting visit. Glenstal Abbey is also a boarding school for secondary level students and has a library, playing pitches and tennis courts. There are a number of monks that live on the grounds who volunteer in the community who do works that include administration, adult education, running a shop, retreat giving, gardening, beekeeping, the Oblate Programme and academic study.



I found the Abbey interesting because it wasn't full of visitors and tourists and gave me an insight into a present-day functioning Abbey. There were no tour guides and you were free to check out most areas of the place. I looked around the church which had some beautiful architecture and stained glass windows. As I made myself around the grounds, the tranquility of Glenstal stood out to me the most and all of the people I saw were very welcoming and friendly.



I found the scenery on the grounds beautiful with trees, wildlife and flowers scattered around. There also was a river passing through the area. From my visit to Glenstal Abbey, I found it to be a tranquil, fascinating area which would be perfect for a retreat and to reflect on things.



Michael Brennan (11120312)




No comments:

Post a Comment